April 8, 2009

Baseball

I'd be remiss if I didn't quick throw up my thoughts regarding Opening Day/Week in baseball. Although as an adult I am now a lover of all sports, for me it began with baseball. Some of my fondest memories growing up is playing catch in the backyard with my dad. He used to always find time to get some practice in, no matter what the day or whatever was going on. I used to love nothing more than a lazy Saturday afternoon just tossing a ball back and forth. It's amazing how such a simple thing can mean so much. Although I always hated it when we practiced fielding grounders and he really just whipped them at me. Can't say it didnt help me improve though, which in the end is a good thing.

I guess this would be a great time, since this blog is so new, to bring up the fact that my wife Nicki and I are expecting our first child at the end of June. We found out in February we are having a boy, and we both couldn't be more excited and anxious thinking about the times ahead. It's days like Opening Day in Major League Baseball that serve as reminder to me that it's going to be ME as the dad soon, playing catch with MY son and teaching him all the intricices of the beautiful sport. It boggles my mind think that this time has come. Even though I am now 29 and well into my adulthood (at least in theory), I still feel so youthful that it doesn't seem real that I am going to be the teacher in the equation.

All I do know for sure is that I could not be looking forward more to imparting whatever wisdom I might have onto a child I call my own. Especially important pieces of information like, "Alway's protect the plate with 2 strikes", "It's ok to take walks, just get on base", and "Baseball is MEANT to be played outdoors". This last piece of wisdom is especially meaningful this week, as the Twins played their LAST opening day in the dreadful Metrodome. The world is going to be a better place next year when they open the season in beautiful Target Field.

I am elated that my son will grow up with a local MLB team that plays the sport as it was meant to, under the open sky. Everyone who moans about the fact that it might be cold on opening day or late in the season needs to toughen up. This is MINNESOTA...this is the MIDWEST! We are supposed to be unaffected by the weather. As far I am concerned, an open air stadium can weed out the die-hard fans from the band wagoners. That way my son will grow up knowing what a real baseball experience feels like and when he catches his first foul ball under blue skies, I can smile knowing he never knew any worse.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: